Search KamloopsBCNow
(UPDATE: Aug. 7 at 5 am): A large stretch of Highway 99 north of Pemberton, B.C. has reopened after a pair of mudslides forced it to close.
The province's Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure announced the reopening of the road at around 7 p.m. Tuesday, after slides closed a section approximately 20 kilometres south of Lillooet the night before.
The ministry says there were no reported injuries.
It says geotechnical engineers surveyed the site by helicopter on Tuesday and approved the maintenance contractor to move in with equipment to clear away the slide material.
It had said earlier that the slides of about 400 to 600 cubic metres came over the highway following heavy rain late Monday.
Landslides have happened in the area before, including in November 2021 when five people were killed in a slide as a series of atmospheric rivers rolled over southern B.C.
(UPDATE: Aug. 6 at 12:01 pm): The BC Highway Patrol says there were no injuries when debris washed over the road.
The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District is urging drivers to avoid the area and check with Drive BC for updates.
Landslides have happened in the area before, including in November 2021 when five people were killed in a slide as a series of atmospheric rivers rolled over southern BC.
(Original story: Aug. 6 at 6 am): Hwy 99 has been closed in both directions between Lillooet and Pemberton.
DriveBC said a landslide forced the closure last night.
A geotechnical investigation is now underway.
⛔UPDATE - #BCHwy99 Closed #Pemberton to #Lillooet due to a landslide. No detour available. https://t.co/VXRWyKZosr #DuffeyLake #SeaToSky #Whistler #CacheCreek #Lytton
— DriveBC (@DriveBC) August 6, 2024
No detour is available.
The landslide occurred between Rancheree Road and Seton Lake Road, according to DriveBC.
An update is due at 11 am this morning.